new cards are overpowered

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

are new cards overpowered

69% 69% 
[ 25 ]
31% 31% 
[ 11 ]
 
Total Votes : 36

new cards are overpowered

Post  jaredyellow3 on 2011-12-31, 02:40

I see all these new cards throwing around effects like destroy any card on your opponents side of the field, or return any card on your opponents side of the field to the hand. These cards are really, really OP. something as strong as taking out any card on your opponents side of the field should come at a high cost. And yet these cards can do it with little or no penalty.

Furthermore, they are extremely easy to summon. i was in a game yesterday where i went second. the match only lasted long enough for me to have 1 turn. Even though i set a flip effect monster and a good trap(to destroy an attacking monster). my opponent just used tons of effects to xyz summon 4 different 2000+ monsters, remove all the cards on my side of the field, and end the game. this has happened before, and it just shows how unbalanced the game is right now. If you aren't planning on using this strategy, prepare to be destroyed if you meet someone that is.

If the opponent gets a monster that has the effect to destroy any card, what can you do? You have basically lost. Got a good trap? A good monster? it doesn't matter, because it will just be sent away by the effect of destroying anything in your field.

The cards that strongly counter this strategy, such as royal oppression, or traitor fog, are conveniently(for the people using these decks) either banned, or are not in dueling network.

In conclusion, any card that is very easy to summon, and can easily destroy any card on the field without paying a price for it, should be banned.

jaredyellow3


Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  RareHunter on 2011-12-31, 02:46

Welcome to the era where u see everyone duel while riding Motorcycle, dude.
You are one of Duelist from ancient Egypt's era that come to here. Welcome cheers
avatar
RareHunter


Posts : 921
Birthday : 1992-08-16
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  KinRyuTen on 2011-12-31, 02:51

yeah, duel disks don't even have holograms anymore, its all augmented reality now. and powerful monsters coming through wormholes too.
avatar
KinRyuTen


Posts : 142
Birthday : 1990-01-22
Join date : 2011-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Exiled on 2011-12-31, 03:03

I have a few suggestions for you:

Play a good deck, not the one you got from the cards lying around in your garage

Use cards that counter the meta i.e. effect veiler, d.d. crow, kycoo, then you wont get demolished

Quit yugioh all together if you aren't willing to adapt to the ever changing game it is. Take it like cars, when they were invented top speed was about 11m/h know for a standard class C sedan is 70m/h cruising speed. Now do you still want to have that old 11m/h S.O.W or do you want the stronger more reliable and dependable car today?
avatar
Exiled


Posts : 357
Join date : 2011-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  RareHunter on 2011-12-31, 03:10

KinRyuTen wrote:yeah, duel disks don't even have holograms anymore, its all augmented reality now. and powerful monsters coming through wormholes too.
You should watch this
Spoiler:
avatar
RareHunter


Posts : 921
Birthday : 1992-08-16
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  jaredyellow3 on 2011-12-31, 03:12

Exiled108 wrote:I have a few suggestions for you:

Play a good deck, not the one you got from the cards lying around in your garage

Use cards that counter the meta i.e. effect veiler, d.d. crow, kycoo, then you wont get demolished

Quit yugioh all together if you aren't willing to adapt to the ever changing game it is. Take it like cars, when they were invented top speed was about 11m/h know for a standard class C sedan is 70m/h cruising speed. Now do you still want to have that old 11m/h S.O.W or do you want the stronger more reliable and dependable car today?

a good deck being one that counters this strategy, or one that IS this strategy. do you see a problem with that?
and really the only option is to go with the one that IS that strategy, because its counters(at least the ones you mentioned) are useless if your opponent is not using that.

jaredyellow3


Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Exiled on 2011-12-31, 03:16

jaredyellow3 wrote:
Exiled108 wrote:I have a few suggestions for you:

Play a good deck, not the one you got from the cards lying around in your garage

Use cards that counter the meta i.e. effect veiler, d.d. crow, kycoo, then you wont get demolished

Quit yugioh all together if you aren't willing to adapt to the ever changing game it is. Take it like cars, when they were invented top speed was about 11m/h know for a standard class C sedan is 70m/h cruising speed. Now do you still want to have that old 11m/h S.O.W or do you want the stronger more reliable and dependable car today?

a good deck being one that counters this strategy, or one that IS this strategy. do you see a problem with that?
and really the only option is to go with the one that IS that strategy, because its counters(at least the ones you mentioned) are useless if your opponent is not using that.
Many deck's are fast, the meta is fast, so you have to play a deck that can keep up unless you want to be slaughtered every game.
avatar
Exiled


Posts : 357
Join date : 2011-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  jaredyellow3 on 2011-12-31, 03:19

Exiled108 wrote:
jaredyellow3 wrote:
Exiled108 wrote:I have a few suggestions for you:

Play a good deck, not the one you got from the cards lying around in your garage

Use cards that counter the meta i.e. effect veiler, d.d. crow, kycoo, then you wont get demolished

Quit yugioh all together if you aren't willing to adapt to the ever changing game it is. Take it like cars, when they were invented top speed was about 11m/h know for a standard class C sedan is 70m/h cruising speed. Now do you still want to have that old 11m/h S.O.W or do you want the stronger more reliable and dependable car today?

a good deck being one that counters this strategy, or one that IS this strategy. do you see a problem with that?
and really the only option is to go with the one that IS that strategy, because its counters(at least the ones you mentioned) are useless if your opponent is not using that.
Many deck's are fast, the meta is fast, so you have to play a deck that can keep up unless you want to be slaughtered every game.

any reccomendations?

jaredyellow3


Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Exiled on 2011-12-31, 03:21

http://yugioh.tcgplayer.com/
thats a start, look over recent YCS winning decks and figure out what the meta consists of, don't netdeck but it is a good helping hand to figure out what deck you can use.
avatar
Exiled


Posts : 357
Join date : 2011-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  jaredyellow3 on 2011-12-31, 03:26

ok, you convinced me. but why the hell did he put his deck out online lol. now people in the next tournament will steal it. I could go to a tournament with a deck that he spent days pouring over and revising every detail to perfection.

jaredyellow3


Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2011-12-31, 03:51

OP is a bit slow to figure this out. Power Creep has finally come back to the point that forced the creation of the ban list in the first place.

Cards like Tengu, TGU, and Rabbit do far more harm to the game than they do any good. The problem is that they are allowed to run rampant with no checks far too often, as often happens with cards that come out in the TCG only, and they only serve to make the power behind a deck shoot straight through the roof instead of the slow and steady rise that would be acceptable in a game where power creep would be acceptable.

Decks like Inzektors are guilty of the same problem as just their initial release cards lead into some huge momentum shifting plays that make it hard to play a real game.
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Garion1991 on 2011-12-31, 04:26

compared to old ones? no
avatar
Garion1991


Posts : 115
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Exiled on 2011-12-31, 04:51

Tsunayoshi wrote:OP is a bit slow to figure this out. Power Creep has finally come back to the point that forced the creation of the ban list in the first place.

Cards like Tengu, TGU, and Rabbit do far more harm to the game than they do any good. The problem is that they are allowed to run rampant with no checks far too often, as often happens with cards that come out in the TCG only, and they only serve to make the power behind a deck shoot straight through the roof instead of the slow and steady rise that would be acceptable in a game where power creep would be acceptable.

Decks like Inzektors are guilty of the same problem as just their initial release cards lead into some huge momentum shifting plays that make it hard to play a real game.
And that is why Tsuna is the Buddha of DN
avatar
Exiled


Posts : 357
Join date : 2011-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2011-12-31, 04:54

Garion1991 wrote:compared to old ones? no

Are you daft? Cards coming out now are just as stupid if not more so than the likes of the Envoys, and the Envoys are decidedly the absolute definition of broken and OP.
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Badass_Bunny on 2011-12-31, 07:14

With these good cards came the great counters such as Solemn Warning or ever popular Effect Veiler, Maxx C is a bi*ch to deal with also
avatar
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Posts : 2660
Birthday : 1996-04-17
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  plsgiveme500k on 2011-12-31, 10:57

Well, if you know how ally of justice catastor destroy egyptian god cards which is powerful in old days, then this will be the answer to future YGO... If you still don't get it, monster are getting overpowered to the old one, look at laggia / dolkka, walking solemns/divine wraith? However, this statement can be false because old but powerful card like penguin soldier is still a trolling monster like grand mole although penguin soldier is old.
avatar
plsgiveme500k


Posts : 307
Birthday : 1994-06-14
Join date : 2011-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 11:52

RareHunter wrote:
KinRyuTen wrote:yeah, duel disks don't even have holograms anymore, its all augmented reality now. and powerful monsters coming through wormholes too.
You should watch this
Spoiler:

Awesome video is awesome.

OP, Yu-Gi-Oh! is overpowered in dis days, deal with it and adapt or go to play MTG. Here's a nice .png img for ya:

Spoiler:
avatar
GreyZekrom


Posts : 451
Birthday : 1997-02-16
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Saturn on 2011-12-31, 12:09

There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.
avatar
Saturn


Posts : 1036
Birthday : 1996-02-07
Join date : 2011-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Phoenix Wright on 2011-12-31, 12:10

Old cards are overpowered to, and just like these ones, they'll be banned

whats your point?
avatar
Phoenix Wright


Posts : 2772
Birthday : 1993-12-14
Join date : 2011-05-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 12:13

Nebuwah wrote:There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.

I've a question, Who'll win in a match between a new meta deck and an old deck with teh old banlist
avatar
GreyZekrom


Posts : 451
Birthday : 1997-02-16
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Saturn on 2011-12-31, 12:17

GreyZekrom wrote:
Nebuwah wrote:There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.

I've a question, Who'll win in a match between a new meta deck and an old deck with teh old banlist

Probably a new meta deck, unless the guy using the old deck gets PoG/Graceful Charity, Forceful Sentry, Confiscation and Delinquent Duo in their first turn. The meta was very slow back then, it was all about who could get into Summoned Skull faster and beat their opponent to the ground.
avatar
Saturn


Posts : 1036
Birthday : 1996-02-07
Join date : 2011-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 12:24

Nebuwah wrote:
GreyZekrom wrote:
Nebuwah wrote:There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.

I've a question, Who'll win in a match between a new meta deck and an old deck with teh old banlist

Probably a new meta deck, unless the guy using the old deck gets PoG/Graceful Charity, Forceful Sentry, Confiscation and Delinquent Duo in their first turn. The meta was very slow back then, it was all about who could get into Summoned Skull faster and beat their opponent to the ground.

Exactly. New meta is word than old meta. Except for TeleDAD with goyo guardian, dat deck is a...pineapple under teh arms.
avatar
GreyZekrom


Posts : 451
Birthday : 1997-02-16
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Badass_Bunny on 2011-12-31, 12:28

Nebuwah wrote:There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.

Legend Of Blue Eyes only had 5 Effect Monsters with Raigeki and Dark Hole
avatar
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Posts : 2660
Birthday : 1996-04-17
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  kangtuji on 2011-12-31, 12:31

Sangan, Witch of Black Forest, Hane Hane, Maneater, Penguin Soldier.....

..... relinquished ?

exodia head...
avatar
kangtuji


Posts : 1611
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  NecEx7 on 2011-12-31, 12:34

can i have your opinion for tour bus?
avatar
NecEx7


Posts : 24
Birthday : 1986-01-10
Join date : 2011-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  MrChillmatic on 2011-12-31, 12:42

Some new archetypes like Inzektor & Wind-Up are just retarded.
avatar
MrChillmatic


Posts : 673
Birthday : 1990-01-09
Join date : 2011-12-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Badass_Bunny on 2011-12-31, 12:42

It's mediocre card it shouldn't be used in serious builds....
avatar
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Posts : 2660
Birthday : 1996-04-17
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 12:44

NecEx7 wrote:can i have your opinion for tour bus?

Not OP enough, Tour guide is teh OP one, but dat b*tch is 150$ so ya don't see a lot IRL


Last edited by GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 12:47; edited 1 time in total
avatar
GreyZekrom


Posts : 451
Birthday : 1997-02-16
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Saturn on 2011-12-31, 12:44

Badass_Bunny wrote:
Nebuwah wrote:There were more broken cards in Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon than there is in today's meta. However, it's unfair to say if old cards are more broken than new cards, since the game is much faster now than it was back then.

Legend Of Blue Eyes only had 5 Effect Monsters with Raigeki and Dark Hole

Hrmmm. I mixed it up with Spell Ruler. But LoBEWD had Pot of Greed and Monster Reborn, too. Spell Ruler had:

Snatch Steal
Confiscation
Delinquent Duo
The Forceful Sentry
Giant Trunade
Cyber Jar


That's a lot of broken cards there. I really should have said the first three packs, then I could have added Change of Heart, Witch of the Black Forest and Heavy Storm.
avatar
Saturn


Posts : 1036
Birthday : 1996-02-07
Join date : 2011-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  GreyZekrom on 2011-12-31, 12:46

Change of hearts its like today's mind control, in teh old days ya use it to tribute summon, now ya use mind control to synchro/Xyz
avatar
GreyZekrom


Posts : 451
Birthday : 1997-02-16
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2011-12-31, 14:58

Badass_Bunny wrote:With these good cards came the great counters such as Solemn Warning or ever popular Effect Veiler, Maxx C is a bi*ch to deal with also

Do not use that argument. You can counter all the broken cards you want with whatever you want, it will NEVER change the fact that a broken card is broken.
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Eliwood on 2011-12-31, 15:09

If all the cards coming out are broken to death, then the game becomes balanced in a bad way. Yes the new cards are all nice and broken, but Exodia and his win condition (mind you those 5 cards were one of the first to come out) just continues to laugh at all the new archetypes because Konami keeps making new stall and draw power cards.
avatar
Eliwood


Posts : 620
Birthday : 1992-01-13
Join date : 2011-10-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  kyros on 2011-12-31, 16:28

For some of the older cards they are actually more ridiculous now than they were when they were originally printed. Premature burial and giant trunade were both considered really good staples, but nobody ever saw either getting banned till there were tons more combos with them (premature + brionac, trunade just got better the more continuous stuff would be released and when mst started getting limited). Some stuff was just crazy of course like delinquent duo and forceful sentry (among others).

It basically just comes down to different formats make some cards more easily abused than others with the occasional exception of a card just being stupid broken that people don't know why it would be legal (look at sixth sense for example).
avatar
kyros


Posts : 178
Join date : 2011-11-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Saturn on 2011-12-31, 16:52

kyros wrote:For some of the older cards they are actually more ridiculous now than they were when they were originally printed. Premature burial and giant trunade were both considered really good staples, but nobody ever saw either getting banned till there were tons more combos with them (premature + brionac, trunade just got better the more continuous stuff would be released and when mst started getting limited). Some stuff was just crazy of course like delinquent duo and forceful sentry (among others).

It basically just comes down to different formats make some cards more easily abused than others with the occasional exception of a card just being stupid broken that people don't know why it would be legal (look at sixth sense for example).

So true. I mean, Mind Control, Scapegoat and Giant Trunade used to all be unlimited. I wonder what changed?
avatar
Saturn


Posts : 1036
Birthday : 1996-02-07
Join date : 2011-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  MonarchTheLegend on 2011-12-31, 17:35

No matter what the banlist is, players will always find a way to abuse certain cards. Thats a game fact yo.

Definitely agree about broken cards in the game right now though.

If you want to play certain decks, let people know on DN and IRL if you don't like the new cards.
avatar
MonarchTheLegend


Posts : 66
Birthday : 1994-07-03
Join date : 2011-06-07

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/MonarchyTheLegend

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  3E-hero neos on 2012-01-01, 09:38

New cards aren't overpowered, the legal to use old cards are just underpowered compared to them.

Ps: Back in the days there were a lot more broken cards but much less of an ''abuse factor''.

avatar
3E-hero neos


Posts : 1081
Birthday : 1995-06-08
Join date : 2011-05-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .:HadoukenBlue:. on 2012-01-04, 23:21

>whines on about how new cards are broken. CED, Timeseal, Confiscation, Graceful Charity, Pot of Greed, Makyura, oppression arn't broken by your logic? Are you obtuse? The game is more balanced than ever and you are just some stupid kid on the internet with rose tinted goggles saying the past was the best. Thanks for listening. You know, there's this thing called... Playing good cards. Inzektor Hornet isn't that bad, blame dfly for breaking him. Look, I'm normally a nice guy. But this thread is
just stupid. Older cards where way worse. Harpies' Feather duster and raigeki are great examples. The game has changed, live with it or quit. Simple as. ABC. I don't mean to insult like this, but this forum brings out the worst of me because it has a backlist of stupidity in my head.

I would appreciate if this forum could y'know... Get well, we need more good players. Not saying I'm good or any of you are bad, but more good players here would certianly help


I set a good tra-No. Sakuretsu armour is TRASH, Garbage, Terrible. Use Torrential or Dprison.
avatar
.:HadoukenBlue:.


Posts : 364
Birthday : 1996-12-24
Join date : 2011-08-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2012-01-04, 23:45

...

No one in here has a clue what Power Creep is or how its made the game quite literally go back to pre-banlist levels.
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  OverlordMMM on 2012-01-05, 00:13

The banlist itself is kind of flawed. The concept is nice, but the implementation is poor. The banlist for a while has had Royal Oppression at 2-3, MST at 1, and Giant Trunade instead of Heavy Storm.

When people started abusing backrow and abused RO while still SS they increased the backrow hate while banning RO.

The current format has the most backrow hate of any format, as well as the most SS. Frankly, we need a card like RO whether limited or semi (if not RO itself). With RO being a trap its subject to all backrow hate thats been added making it much less a threat than it used to be.

What I'm saying is that this format, it would have been appropriate to keep it at 1 or 2, but being banned has messed with the dynamics of the game. It is a strong card by itself, but other changes to the banlist and increases to the card pool has dramatically decreased its strength.
avatar
OverlordMMM


Posts : 811
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2012-01-05, 00:22

Overlord, its not that the ban list is the problem, though if it was used correctly it could actually do something to reduce the effect of the power creep right now, but considering that Konami is releasing more and more cards like TGU and Tengu that are just overwhelmingly stupid in what they can do, the ban list will remain useless so long they continue to ignore the steadily increasing power creep they are encouraging without a second thought.
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Garion1991 on 2012-01-05, 02:37

Tsunayoshi wrote:
Garion1991 wrote:compared to old ones? no

Are you daft? Cards coming out now are just as stupid if not more so than the likes of the Envoys, and the Envoys are decidedly the absolute definition of broken and OP.

i'm daft because i have a different opinion? besides, how is your opinion more valid than mine when yours is just based on your own arbitrary assumptions without any critical or objective reasoning?

just because you claim certain cards are overpowered or more doesnt make them so, that is why there is a poll; i said compared to old cards, newer ones are less overpowered in my opinion, there is no reason for you to try and win some non-existent debate over the validity of opinions.

granted, i still stand by that older ones are way more "overpowered" compared to the newer ones simply because i play Traditional and i view the "older" cards being way more versatile and powerful than the newer ones

granted, my opinion is based solely on the comparison between cards

Tsunayoshi wrote:...No one in here has a clue what Power Creep is or how its made the game quite literally go back to pre-banlist levels.

enlighten me, how does "power creep" tie into all of this? "power creep" in my opinion only make decks stronger, it has nothing to do with the power level of a card (granted i wont argue a definite, so i'll just say that power creep is a weak reason)

so no, imo, newer cards like Tengu, TGU, and Rabbit are less powerful than the older generation of cards that have complete control over the field and the boasting of unrivaled speed.

newer cards a strong, since there is bound to be strong or overpowered cards released from time to time, but so far only several have matched up with the old kings; the old kings still reign supreme

maybe i should add in a somewhat slight personal insult since it will make my opinion more valid and make me look like a bad ass
avatar
Garion1991


Posts : 115
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  OverlordMMM on 2012-01-05, 03:13

There is a power creep, however, it is balanced for the times. What I mean is that although newer cards tend to outclass older cards, it happens in a consistent manner making the meta what it is.

This has made the game much quicker and more toolbox than it used to be, which can be an issue if uncontrolled, but certain cards were abused in ways that were unforseen until it happened.

Konami needs to be both smarter about card designs/ mechanics and about the banlist.
avatar
OverlordMMM


Posts : 811
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Tsunayoshi on 2012-01-05, 04:58

OverlordMMM wrote:There is a power creep, however, it is balanced for the times. What I mean is that although newer cards tend to outclass older cards, it happens in a consistent manner making the meta what it is.

This has made the game much quicker and more toolbox than it used to be, which can be an issue if uncontrolled, but certain cards were abused in ways that were unforseen until it happened.

Konami needs to be both smarter about card designs/ mechanics and about the banlist.

Power Creep has led to the release of TGU, Tengu, Rescue Rabbit, Leviair, and Inzektor Hornet to name a few of the already chronicaly complained about cards in the game right now. TGU and Tengu are bitched about because of how stupid they make Exceeds and Synchros respectively. Rabbit and Leviair are outright abusive in their own right and for obvious reasons on their own. Hornet is the sole reason Inzektors are good and get so much stupid advantage off a simple loop.

Power creep is also responsible for Hyperion and Grapha, two bosses that people also complain about on a frequent basis because they are not only easy to summon but borderline abusive in their own right because of their effects.

You cannot say the format is balanced as the number of viable decks, at least in the competitive definition of the term viable, continues to decrease. A format that started with 4-5 decks able to hold their own with ease has already turned into a 2, 3 tops, deck format. Decks that were on top at the start have fallen out of favor and decks that were hyped to be able to hold their own in the format failed to do so because of the current situation in the meta.

Personally I would have thought that a card that everyone that has at least done their homework with YGO would call one of the most overpowered cards every printed, also could be read as broken, now being relatively ineffectual should show that the power creep in the game has already reached a point that Konami has not been favorable towards in the past.

The ban list was first implemented because the power creep in the game had reached a point where you had to have a stack of obscenely overpowered or outright broken cards to compete, and for a long time it was actually kept under control. The fact that we have nearly come back to that point again is showing that Konami is not trying to restrain itself when it comes to card design and is also putting its profits ahead of the good of the game..
avatar
Tsunayoshi


Posts : 1915
Birthday : 1987-09-27
Join date : 2011-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  plsgiveme500k on 2012-01-05, 05:39

Rescue rabbit purpose was to support the normal monster, but with the release of evolzar laggia/dolkka, walking solemns/divine wraith...? Before release of evolzar laggia/dolkka, walking solemn/divine wraith can be achieved by having quasar and halberd cannon on your side of field, which quite hard to pull out these 2.

Monster that have effect to negate summon of monster is ridiculously OP, before evolzar is released, T.G. Halberd Cannon was the only monster that can negate summon. Now laggia says :" Yo halberd, your are too slow for this job man, let me handle it, Twisted Evil "
avatar
plsgiveme500k


Posts : 307
Birthday : 1994-06-14
Join date : 2011-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .Jobrjo. on 2012-01-05, 11:17

Yeah, and it's getting worse. There are many level 3s 4s better than many level 5s and 6s. Xyzs aren't effected by cards that effect levels. Fusion monster, not to easy to summon as you usually need specific cards and a fusion card ; Synchro monster, reletivly easy to summon, as you can do a whole bunch of different combos with a whole bunch of different monsters to get the same end result ; Xyz monsters are incredibly easy to summon, as you just need 2 of the same levels. Now, unfotuantly, almost everyone uses the same decks, with just a 1 or 2 card diffference. Rare you find original decks in high ratings. Just a bunch of the same Synchros, same Xyzs, same combos, same stratigies, same everything. It's gotten to the point where now we have "staples". The game has gone far downhill from Yugi's(mayeb Jaden's too) day to Zexal and stuff. Older cards are becoming a) useless or b) banned.

Just a message for Dn here, and I can speak for it myself. Original decks are far funner to use. I know this, because all of my 4_ (as in forty-something) decks are original, 60 card, non-archtype decks. Sure, I lose more than I win. But I tell you, I have 10x more fun then people who do otherwise. "Winning is fun". That's only partially true. People have stopped playing for fun, and now play for wins. Wrong. Play for fun, and the wins will come. It's also funner to duel original decks, people say it to me all the time. And it's so very awesome when 2 original decks duel each other.
Now I'm not saying you have to have 60 card decks. Nor am I saying you shpuldn't use Archtypes. I'm just saying, please use something original, not copied or the same as everyone else. Thank you, thank you very much Smile

Oh, and about the "there were more old broken cards then new ones!" argument, I"m sorry,m but that's just wrong. Nowdays, there's whole entire broken archtypes. Forget archtypes, types of cards(Xyz are not just OP, but they're broken too)! But hey, Yu-Gi-Oh! never has been and never will be perfect, and that's a fact tongue
avatar
.Jobrjo.


Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .:HadoukenBlue:. on 2012-01-05, 11:27

.Jobrjo. wrote: I'm just saying, please use something original, not copied or the same as everyone else. Thank you, thank you very much Smile

I play the game to win. I don't play with original decks because I find the meta fun. Guys, Power Creep hasn't happened. Remember when Caius was "OMG! SO MOTHERFUCKING BROKE BAN THIS SHIT!11!1!" Because we where in a Perfect Circle format? Remember when Synchros first came along, and TeleDAD was now in the spotlight to get shot by the banlist? Remember rescue cat? Remember sabers? There's always a meta, some are better than others, admittedly. But I love this format compared to the last garbage format we had.

The game always has staples... LOB had Feather Duster, Raigeki etc. Don't say a word unless you know what it means. Guys, 90% of the cards you whine about... Arn't even that bad. From the persepective of the meta, they ARE broken. But what about in 2 Years time when the last ZeXal pack is being released...? Nope. By then, the perspective of the meta will have changed.
As far as I'm concerned, the best format ever was TeleDAD. I don't care, I enjoyed that format a lot. Oh and OP thinks the game is broke because he's running garbage cards and probably a garbage deck and is proably basing the argument of this thread on 1 duel.

avatar
.:HadoukenBlue:.


Posts : 364
Birthday : 1996-12-24
Join date : 2011-08-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .Jobrjo. on 2012-01-05, 11:35

Sir, I don't use meta, at all, in my 40+ decks. Not at all. I used too, but I took out all of those decks. SInce they're meta, everyone has one, I prefer something different than everyone else. Also, I don't use staples. For example, I use Sangan in 2 of my decks. Also, not a single solemn in all my decks.
From the perspective of a 100% non-meta dueler, the meta is broken.
And just saying, while some of my decks suck, some of them are quite good.
avatar
.Jobrjo.


Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .:HadoukenBlue:. on 2012-01-05, 11:39

.Jobrjo. wrote:Sir, I don't use meta, at all, in my 40+ decks. Not at all. I used too, but I took out all of those decks. SInce they're meta, everyone has one, I prefer something different than everyone else. Also, I don't use staples. For example, I use Sangan in 2 of my decks. Also, not a single solemn in all my decks.
From the perspective of a 100% non-meta dueler, the meta is broken.
And just saying, while some of my decks suck, some of them are quite good.

That's when you cross the line of a casual player and a stupid player. Just because a card is in the meta doesn't mean it's evil and it's going to kill you. There's a large difference between wanting to use something different(I run D-HERO Zombies for a fun deck.) and a bad deck. Every deck, unless for some reason that hurts it's consistency, should run 2 MST, 1 Heavy, 1 Dark Hole, 1 Reborn, 2 warnings and a Solemn Judgment.
avatar
.:HadoukenBlue:.


Posts : 364
Birthday : 1996-12-24
Join date : 2011-08-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  .Jobrjo. on 2012-01-05, 12:05

Well, I guess you could say I'm "casual". This is a game, not a job or life. Now stupid, ha, that' funny, defianntly not. Ii don't mind meta cards at all. I just don't use them because everyone does, and there's 100s of other cards out there. As for the last statements, all of my decks are "fun" decks, however, all of them actually work (some mor than others, but al work). And none of my decks run what you suggested.
But seriously, let's not argue over this, it's nothing. If you prefer to use meta decks that everyone else uses just to get more wins because that's "fun" to you, go ahead. I'm just saying it's funner to use and duel against original (yet good) decks, where you aren't dueling someone you've dueled 100x before. But really, that's going to be hard to achieve without good balance with all cards.
avatar
.Jobrjo.


Posts : 36
Join date : 2011-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  raidou on 2012-01-05, 13:10

.Jobrjo. wrote:Sir, I don't use meta, at all, in my 40+ decks. Not at all. I used too, but I took out all of those decks. SInce they're meta, everyone has one, I prefer something different than everyone else. Also, I don't use staples. For example, I use Sangan in 2 of my decks. Also, not a single solemn in all my decks.
From the perspective of a 100% non-meta dueler, the meta is broken.
And just saying, while some of my decks suck, some of them are quite good.

does that logic means if one of those decks becomes really good (because of new cards or a lucky ban list change ) and it becomes meta youll stop using it?








avatar
raidou


Posts : 967
Join date : 2011-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: new cards are overpowered

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum