Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-01-29, 09:53

Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

Maybe have ranks of members on the DNS - newbies, and those who take various quizzes to become established as novice, amateur, competent, professional?
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phoenix Wright on 2012-01-29, 09:56

Why would anyone want to do that?
avatar
Phoenix Wright


Posts : 2772
Birthday : 1993-12-14
Join date : 2011-05-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phraxure on 2012-01-29, 10:12

This wouldn't be fair for new players who have no clue about Yu-Gi-Oh and are just introduced to Dueling Network. This wouldn't stop or solve any problems either.
avatar
Phraxure


Posts : 271
Birthday : 1997-05-25
Join date : 2011-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Greatdude on 2012-01-29, 10:23

I don't see why this is needed?

So that pro's can discriminate against beginners? That's awful.

Greatdude


Posts : 27
Join date : 2012-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Adept VantageSP on 2012-01-29, 10:45

How about a basic anti-spam measure? Like one of them Captcha's. Also, possibly a more advanced one that restricts IPs/Computers to 1-2 accounts made per day/week. Something to stop account spamming when banned.
avatar
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Posts : 6756
Birthday : 1992-05-08
Join date : 2011-05-27

View user profile http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Badass_Bunny on 2012-01-29, 11:42

Greatdude wrote:I don't see why this is needed?

So that pro's can discriminate against beginners? That's awful.

No so that "pro's" can play with "beginners" who actually know how the game works, you have no idea the amount of people who want to play YGO but have never read the rulebook.

Vantage idea seem OK, I there should definitely be a link to rulebook when you attempt to register
avatar
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Posts : 2660
Birthday : 1996-04-17
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Adept VantageSP on 2012-01-29, 12:00

10 min flash tutorial on how to use DN anyone? But yeah, some sort of rule book or general guidelines would be nice (shown at time of registration), like how the donation system was done. Leads to a page with rules and such.
avatar
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Posts : 6756
Birthday : 1992-05-08
Join date : 2011-05-27

View user profile http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  S.S.A. on 2012-01-29, 12:53

yea, a page of rules would be a great idea, because as everyone saw last week, some people are kinda stupid lol
avatar
S.S.A.


Posts : 1010
Join date : 2011-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phraxure on 2012-01-29, 13:03

Vantage, excellent ideas!
avatar
Phraxure


Posts : 271
Birthday : 1997-05-25
Join date : 2011-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-01-29, 15:36

You don't need 10 min to learn how to use the software, but an introductory quiz of basics like hand size, picking which cards you can chain, picking what result would happen next in a turn sequence / chain would take less than a minute for a knowledgeable player.

You shouldn't be targetting people who've never played the game before as a priority over those who have if you don't have any form of lesson structure to teach the game.

You could even tie it into the YGX dorms if you wanted to be crass.

There's nothing supremist about it, it just means that you'd know that people were good players.

The current rating system allows prejudiced, so the first few comments here should consider that before sniping at something which would allow new players to show that they are competent.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Greatdude on 2012-01-29, 15:56

I think making a tutorial on how to use DN would be better than a guide on how to play the game.

Greatdude


Posts : 27
Join date : 2012-01-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  WrightJustice on 2012-01-29, 18:40

The first suggestion is rather over the top IMO, it puts off people from joining and newbies who just want to learn and get started will definitely feel put off from it.
It's a sure fire way to stop people from using it, especially if it gets implemented and to be fair everyone has to take the quiz just to sort it out and not just saying "oh they're already signed up before this so they don't need to take it".

However, maybe something that pops up when you first sign up that says "Do know know how to play?" and has options linking to a rule book and maybe a tutorial for both DN and yugioh.
Though, there could just be a button that's always up and it flashes like mad when you first sign up with the popup asking if they know how to play.

WrightJustice


Posts : 78
Birthday : 1991-08-21
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheBeardedLady on 2012-02-01, 14:11

once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.
avatar
TheBeardedLady


Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Miley Syrus + on 2012-02-01, 14:22

Yu-gi Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I don't ask you to fill out an exam when wanting to compete in a YCS tournament. Everyone has a right to be a part of the site regardless of how well they play, if they don't know how then offer to teach them don't exile them. For all you know he can be the next pro.
avatar
Miley Syrus +


Posts : 1924
Birthday : 1991-01-11
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  kangtuji on 2012-02-01, 14:53

TheBeardedLady wrote:once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.



You must be new here,
DN never accept any suggestion from members
Anything that suggest by member, they always (and will have) any way to denies it.

The simplest one, when was last time a member suggest an avatar ?
avatar
kangtuji


Posts : 1611
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  DarkRiku on 2012-02-01, 15:24

kangtuji wrote:
TheBeardedLady wrote:once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.



You must be new here,
DN never accept any suggestion from members
Anything that suggest by member, they always (and will have) any way to denies it.

The simplest one, when was last time a member suggest an avatar ?

Never?

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t13842-call-admin-ticker

avatar
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Posts : 1463
Birthday : 1984-12-06
Join date : 2011-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-01, 15:30

Kang you are so narrow minded -.-

anyways this is unfair. I learned how to duel with DN and if I didn't I wouldn't even be playing today. If I saw one of those I would of just left and never started dueling. That's like pushing players away if you aren't good enough or up to date on the rules. If you do face someone who is new then help them out or call an admin if you are really having that hard of time. But pushing away new players is something I do not think DN wants to do.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phraxure on 2012-02-01, 16:12

How is this a good idea?
avatar
Phraxure


Posts : 271
Birthday : 1997-05-25
Join date : 2011-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Occultdude17 on 2012-02-01, 17:04

Captchas won't stop spammers, as the users on here are usually human. The best idea would be tutorials on the game mechanics, as well as on dueling etiquette.
avatar
Occultdude17


Posts : 582
Join date : 2011-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-02, 06:09

That was the suggestion.

A quick quiz to see where you stand.

There's nothing to stop players actively seeking out those with whatever differentiates - say different colours.

A simple quiz, say 10 BASIC questions.

How many monsters can you normally summon each turn?
1/2/3

Which card has the greatest speed?
QPS/Counter/Effect Monster

How many copies of a card are normally allowed in a deck?
3/4/5

etc




Just so that players know the basics. It'll take 20, 30 seconds to click through, even if you don't know the answers.

If that impedes you from signing up, then you obviously didn't really want to play.


And yes, I have noticed that attitude towards members, especially new ones, in previous threads.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-02, 13:03

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:That was the suggestion.

A quick quiz to see where you stand.

There's nothing to stop players actively seeking out those with whatever differentiates - say different colours.

A simple quiz, say 10 BASIC questions.

How many monsters can you normally summon each turn?
1/2/3

Which card has the greatest speed?
QPS/Counter/Effect Monster

How many copies of a card are normally allowed in a deck?
3/4/5

etc




Just so that players know the basics. It'll take 20, 30 seconds to click through, even if you don't know the answers.

If that impedes you from signing up, then you obviously didn't really want to play.


And yes, I have noticed that attitude towards members, especially new ones, in previous threads.

I dont think you need to be required to know anything to start a hobby. I started DN here thinking normal decks were 60 cards. I didn't know some were limited or semi limited or anything .IF they had this test I feel like it would scare off new players and DN does not want that.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-03, 07:56

To start a hobby, no, but to actually interact in it, yes.

The lack of any indication of levels in players here - ratings aside, as they are completely abusable - can pair up complete amateurs with those using intricate decks.

That nobody waits after playing their cards - I'm guilty of this myself, but it's become habit since I started playing here as people tend to berate you for always asking for a response - is a big factor in this as well.

Having a 2 or 3 second delay after every action could remedy this I guess, although I can already see that being shot down as an unnecessary hindrance.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Zero2Hero on 2012-02-03, 08:08

@Funhouse
Seriously? Yeah, this is not gonna happen.

@Vantagesp
We have tutorials in the forum, plus DN is easy to work, took me only 5 minutes to learn in my first time.

@BeardedLady
Whether he's staff or not, if you like the idea, that's fine. If you don't, you don't. People agreeing with him isn't gonna make it happen.
avatar
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Posts : 2557
Birthday : 1994-01-10
Join date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-03, 08:33

Seriously what?
The timer or the quiz or the colours for players marking them as knowing how to play?

A few ideas have popped up to combat the obvious lack of any attention to the problem.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-03, 09:48

I don't understand why you want to make people have to be at a certain level of "skill" to play on here. That's just rude and unfair. If a nooby wants to play, why not let them? why make the pass a test? because some members on here are rude? no, that's not fair.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  [S]tarstrike on 2012-02-03, 10:03

Lol...if it scares people away from playing a game that they should have read the rulebook for first, then bummer. You don't just jump into a game or any hobby with no clue how to play.

Your first steps are reading the rulebook and understanding how to even build a deck based on the limited & forbidden list as well as the rest of the basic mechanics given in the rulebook. You don't just make a deck and play unless you have someone who is set out to show you how to play.

You don't get to drive a car on your own without taking your written & driving test to get your license.

Ten basic questions on simple game mechanics to make sure you have some sort of understanding of the game is not a big deal. If they get too many wrong and can't sign up, give it a 24 hour wait period to try again. This way people who are dumb enough to start playing Yu-Gi-Oh without reading the rulebook first will now have 24 hours to do so and try the quiz again.

The quiz should also include questions on DN's specific rules to make sure that they are read and understood. Won't be anymore of this, "I didn't know that admitting defeat 10 times in 2 minutes would get me banned" crap.

Seriously, stop feeling sorry for new people who join this site and then act like they've been playing forever when they don't know a damn thing, then swear at you and quit like a child.
avatar
[S]tarstrike


Posts : 177
Birthday : 1989-09-20
Join date : 2011-07-29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/ryderjj89

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  kangtuji on 2012-02-03, 11:27

Could be worse...

They use autopilots deck (copied from net, obviously),
winning / crushing your deck easily, disregard unknown how to play, and insulting you than quit like a child whenever you offer rematch
avatar
kangtuji


Posts : 1611
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phraxure on 2012-02-03, 11:43

Or how about, for first time users, when the join they can receive a link asking them if they'd like to visit the rules and a rulebook [or even a tutorial], and then if they know already how to play then can just choose to skip it?
avatar
Phraxure


Posts : 271
Birthday : 1997-05-25
Join date : 2011-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-03, 13:27

[S]tarstrike wrote:Lol...if it scares people away from playing a game that they should have read the rulebook for first, then bummer. You don't just jump into a game or any hobby with no clue how to play.

Your first steps are reading the rulebook and understanding how to even build a deck based on the limited & forbidden list as well as the rest of the basic mechanics given in the rulebook. You don't just make a deck and play unless you have someone who is set out to show you how to play.

You don't get to drive a car on your own without taking your written & driving test to get your license.

Ten basic questions on simple game mechanics to make sure you have some sort of understanding of the game is not a big deal. If they get too many wrong and can't sign up, give it a 24 hour wait period to try again. This way people who are dumb enough to start playing Yu-Gi-Oh without reading the rulebook first will now have 24 hours to do so and try the quiz again.

The quiz should also include questions on DN's specific rules to make sure that they are read and understood. Won't be anymore of this, "I didn't know that admitting defeat 10 times in 2 minutes would get me banned" crap.

Seriously, stop feeling sorry for new people who join this site and then act like they've been playing forever when they don't know a damn thing, then swear at you and quit like a child.

your last paragraph is generlizing a group of people because you have run into a few rude people. I honestly came here not knowing a thing. My friend make me a deck and told me to play on DN and I learned here. I thought MST negated. But once someone explained it to me I was fine. Honestly DN=/= driving. I see what you are saying, but I don't see why you need to be at least this familiar with this game to want to get more into it. And honestly if I just read the rulebook instead of playing to learn I probably wouldn't of retained any of it. It would of just been words with no correlations. The playing while being explained what/why something happens is crucial. You don't take your license test just by reading the rules. You practice driving. I say playing on DN is practice for playing IRL for a lot of people. Anyways if someone is new and needs help how hard is it to help someone out? Personally I help out as much as I can, especially with new people. I don't see why you and so many other people have such a problem with it. If someone is new you can easily just not face them by checking their rating/ranking or their profile.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  nero77 on 2012-02-03, 13:43

Before you sign up in DN you should read the rulebook first of course.
avatar
nero77


Posts : 151
Birthday : 1994-09-07
Join date : 2011-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-04, 15:48

Nobody here - especially myself - has said that you should not be allowed to join up if you don't pass a test.

That would be ridiculous.

The main request is to have people banded in a set colour so that people who ARE looking for professional / capable players won't be stuck fighting those learning.

Having it coloured, based on your quizes, possibly rep through tourneys or such, means that it's easier and less abusable.

avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  ! Alestorm ! on 2012-02-04, 15:59

Miley Syrus + wrote:

I don't ask you to fill out an exam when wanting to compete in a YCS tournament. Everyone has a right to be a part of the site regardless of how well they play, if they don't know how then offer to teach them don't exile them. For all you know he can be the next pro.


Agreed..and miley has posted many videos on how the site works..if we want to address this..maybe every so often post a review video...idk..dont exclude new players..like i suggested in another topic..maybe to help out new players a rule book would be nice..aswell as possibly a list of pre made structure decks so they get an idea on how decks work..and possibly avoid them getting laughed at for having 60 cards in their deck >.>
avatar
! Alestorm !


Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  AsherpotterCOPY on 2012-02-04, 17:25

But then we'd have no users...
avatar
AsherpotterCOPY


Posts : 310
Join date : 2011-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Zero2Hero on 2012-02-04, 17:30

Asherpotter wrote:But then we'd have no users...
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me!

On the OT: Bad suggestion is bad
avatar
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Posts : 2557
Birthday : 1994-01-10
Join date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Occultdude17 on 2012-02-05, 02:57

Excluding players is a stupid idea. Just create some tutorials and make them really easy to use/obvious to find. Or link to existing material. If they still screw up, then they're just stupid and there's nothing we can do about that.
avatar
Occultdude17


Posts : 582
Join date : 2011-09-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-05, 05:56

Where is the idea that this excludes players comes from?

Players already need to spend a few seconds creating an account, adding something like this in will add a minute at most.

The issue isn't how to use the site - although I've never heard of those. Indeed, I'd never heard of the forum until I googled the duelingnetwork URL and saw them.

Both are incredibly poorly advertised, which DOES exclude players.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  ! Alestorm ! on 2012-02-05, 10:06

the forum isnt poorly advertised..there is a link right on the homepage of dueling network >.> maybe you need the tutorial Surprised but seriously..bad idea..

if any quiz is to be inputted when signing up..then is should be a quiz on if that player knows how to have fun with the game..and not be so serious and unfun..cause serious people make the game feel very awkward >.>
avatar
! Alestorm !


Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  kangtuji on 2012-02-07, 00:41

Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)



I fully support this suggestion
avatar
kangtuji


Posts : 1611
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-07, 00:59

kangtuji wrote:Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)



I fully support this suggestion

You get rep from losing
and of course YOU do kang
of course YOU do
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Miror B. on 2012-02-07, 01:02

kangtuji wrote:Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)



I fully support this suggestion

I'm sorry if I fail to take you seriously, but I've seen you rage at so many people who have actually asked why their wrong and listened. Even people who don't get the "basic" Dark World rule.
avatar
Miror B.


Posts : 1205
Join date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  kangtuji on 2012-02-07, 01:06

I wasn't pointing about winning or losing
but this is about right and wrong, (and basic rules)

Basic as in meaning someone that everybody should knew already, and I didn't even rulesharking it
avatar
kangtuji


Posts : 1611
Join date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-07, 01:46

kangtuji wrote:I wasn't pointing about winning or losing
but this is about right and wrong, (and basic rules)

Basic as in meaning someone that everybody should knew already, and I didn't even rulesharking it

*facedesk*

Kang, we get it, you think anytime anyone does ANYTHING wrong or does not know ONE ruling they are incompetent net deckers, but what you consider basic rules may not be basic to everyone else. Who cares if some new players don't know basic rules? help them out. That's all you need to do.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-07, 06:42

And that's what a quiz would do.


Help them out.


It will establish them with a basic knowledge.

They would learn what they didn't know, because you can tell them when they get it wrong.


I'm really not getting HOW people can say this is a bad idea.

It does NOTHING to deter players that isn't already being done, and a lot to help them.


And the forum is not advertised.


Having a link, and advertising, are completely different things.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phoenix Wright on 2012-02-07, 07:35

In that case, instead of a rules quiz, why not just offer a link to the rulebook?
avatar
Phoenix Wright


Posts : 2772
Birthday : 1993-12-14
Join date : 2011-05-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Miror B. on 2012-02-07, 15:47

The problem here:
By reading the first post is sounds like people who don't pass don't get to play.
By reading TC's other posts that does not seem to be the intent at all.
avatar
Miror B.


Posts : 1205
Join date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist on 2012-02-08, 08:14

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

Maybe have ranks of members on the DNS - newbies, and those who take various quizzes to become established as novice, amateur, competent, professional?

I guess the first sentence is where people are getting confused?

Although even that is just a vague implication that it would disallow people from playing.



The intent is by no means to stop people playing, but merely to let others know how much they know about the game.

A link to the rulebook would be useful, but mostly ignored, especially if it's placed like the link to the forums.

Hidden in a scroll box isn't really helpful. It should be clear and accessible.

And it doesn't even directly reference it as the forums, as it's named Support, which could implicate it being only for if you're in trouble.

Back to the original purpose of this, instigating a colour or symbol, showing that you've passed different levels of quizzes wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Even have different coloured names or some such.


And on another colour-related note, being able to pick your colour for the chatbox would be nice.

And help to keep track of who says what.
avatar
TheFunhouseDuelist


Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-01-23

View user profile http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-08, 08:25

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:
TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

Maybe have ranks of members on the DNS - newbies, and those who take various quizzes to become established as novice, amateur, competent, professional?

I guess the first sentence is where people are getting confused?

Although even that is just a vague implication that it would disallow people from playing.



The intent is by no means to stop people playing, but merely to let others know how much they know about the game.

A link to the rulebook would be useful, but mostly ignored, especially if it's placed like the link to the forums.

Hidden in a scroll box isn't really helpful. It should be clear and accessible.

And it doesn't even directly reference it as the forums, as it's named Support, which could implicate it being only for if you're in trouble.

Back to the original purpose of this, instigating a colour or symbol, showing that you've passed different levels of quizzes wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Even have different coloured names or some such.


And on another colour-related note, being able to pick your colour for the chatbox would be nice.

And help to keep track of who says what.

so let me get this...you take one test when you first start DN and it judges you throughout your play the whole time your there?


The colors are
red for you
blue for otherusers
green/gold/grey for admins

There is nothing wrong with the color sysytem >_>
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  raidou on 2012-02-08, 12:17

if im getting this right he wants people to be labeled by a quiz when registering

this must be one of the top ten worst ideas ever

we dont really need a way for some players to think they are better than the rest




vantage and bunny ideas are good (link to rulebook and flash tutorial)









avatar
raidou


Posts : 967
Join date : 2011-06-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  CheyMcFly on 2012-02-08, 13:04

raidou wrote:if im getting this right he wants people to be labeled by a quiz when registering

this must be one of the top ten worst ideas ever

we dont really need a way for some players to think they are better than the rest





i agree with you. He wants us to be known by this one test we take when a lot of people come here to learn how to play. That's ridiculous >_> and pointless.

He seems to be complaining about players, and hey, we can't change how people play, but he thinks somehow this test will make it easier to avoid people who move quickly or don't know some card rulings..
At least that's what I got from this.
avatar
CheyMcFly


Posts : 1363
Birthday : 1993-09-02
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Zero2Hero on 2012-02-08, 14:11

raidou wrote:
vantage and bunny ideas are good (link to rulebook and flash tutorial)
I thought they were bad ideas. Here's why:
Rule Book
Tutorial

The Rule Book isn't even hard to find, and seeing it will not encourage them to look at it. If they wanted to, a search of "Yugioh Rule Book" would've brought them to the same link I just gave out. And if you want a tutorial, there are many in this forum. Not to mention that DN isn't a complicated problem anyway.
avatar
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Posts : 2557
Birthday : 1994-01-10
Join date : 2011-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum