Is Yu-Gi-Oh a healthy hobby?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is Yu-Gi-Oh a healthy hobby?

Post  OpenFaceSurgery on 2012-02-05, 04:51

I have a lot more spare time on my hands and some money lying around. I played Yugioh in real life many many many years ago and was thinking about picking it up again, I know there is a a club that plays Yu-Gi-Oh weekly around and I know some tournamnets are hosted in places like Bristol which are 30 minutes or so away from me.

I know people complain it's expencive but if you're playing for fun how much money is really going to be spent? Keep in mind im starting from complete scratch but I won't be going for meta-cards such as tour guide or synchro-heavy decks.

OpenFaceSurgery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh a healthy hobby?

Post  Ultimate lol on 2012-02-05, 05:11

For like 100 euro's you'll have several competitive options you could play. The lowest would be around 40 euro's
But if you want to have a really competitive deck you'll have to invest in a proper extra deck (most expensive part of the game) but you can use this for all the decks you play and probably will play so it's a good investment.
If you just start buy singles or a premade deck from someone. You can build from there on.
Also suggest you mess around with some decks on DN before you go buy it.
Ultimate lol

Birthday : 1990-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OpenFaceSurgery on 2012-02-05, 05:26

Ultimate lol wrote:For like 100 euro's you'll have several competitive options you could play. The lowest would be around 40 euro's
But if you want to have a really competitive deck you'll have to invest in a proper extra deck (most expensive part of the game) but you can use this for all the decks you play and probably will play so it's a good investment.
If you just start buy singles or a premade deck from someone. You can build from there on.
Also suggest you mess around with some decks on DN before you go buy it.

Thing is I feel like a lot of the enjoyment of playing a card game is buying the actual packs yourself. My initial thought was playing Inzektors as the 9 cards are easy to get from packs and any rares I get I could try to trade for staples/other various cards I need for my deck. Is this a decent idea?

Also how meta are locals? What I mean is I won't be seeing everybody playing wind-ups and tour guide like I do on dueling network? Part of the reason I want to play in real life is I know people will play more causally and not to win.

OpenFaceSurgery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultimate lol on 2012-02-05, 05:36

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:Thing is I feel like a lot of the enjoyment of playing a card game is buying the actual packs yourself. My initial thought was playing Inzektors as the 9 cards are easy to get from packs and any rares I get I could try to trade for staples/other various cards I need for my deck. Is this a decent idea?
Really depend on your luck and what you are willing to spend.
Also on how many people you have nearby to trade with.
I you want to pull/trade Inzectors with just what you pull you should be looking at at least 2 or 3 boxes worth of pack.
Also because Inzector is the hype right now they are expensive. The super hornet? it's like 35 dollar right now.
I get that opening packs if fun but do it after you invested in a stable deck. So you have something to work from.

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:Also how meta are locals? What I mean is I won't be seeing everybody playing wind-ups and tour guide like I do on dueling network? Part of the reason I want to play in real life is I know people will play more causally and not to win.
Very, very, very different at each local. I really can't tell you how your locals will be. Mine is not that competitive for example but I know some that really are.
You could just drop by once and ask if you can play with them. Knowing Yu-Gi-Oh players there is always someone who has a spare deck you can play with.
Ultimate lol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OpenFaceSurgery on 2012-02-05, 05:43

3 boxes worth of packs? Aren't the boxes like 60 euros each? And what I mean was getting the inzektors from packs for myself, and if I get anything good like wind-ups or ninjas id trade them for cards that I need as I'm sure people would be looking for them.

I'm planning on checking out the club and seeing how many people actually play Yu-Gi-Oh around here before investing into the game. Do people sell just a "staple deck" kind of thing at all(ie around 15 cards or so of just staples like heavy, mst, reborn dark hole etc?).

I have around 120 euros right now so I'm thinking how I can build a deck that I would enjoy from that. You said some meta decks can be bought for 40 euros, what are your suggestions?

OpenFaceSurgery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AsherpotterCOPY on 2012-02-05, 05:43

My sleeping habits are horrible due to this game, but that's not to say it isn't entirely my own fault.
AsherpotterCOPY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  minervx on 2012-02-05, 05:49

Ygo is purely for entertainment. Its no better or worse than watching tv or other more socially prevalent hobbies.

minervx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultimate lol on 2012-02-05, 06:18

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:3 boxes worth of packs? Aren't the boxes like 60 euros each?
If you’re really lucky maybe. Most locals go for 75/80 euro. (cheaper online)

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:And what I mean was getting the inzektors from packs for myself, and if I get anything good like wind-ups or ninjas id trade them for cards that I need as I'm sure people would be looking for them.
And how much of inzectors do you think you'll pull. I had 2 boxes and pulled 2 Hornet and 1 giga mantis and 1 dragonfly. I was "lucky" with having 2 Hornet. Don't expect to pull everything you need from a few packs.
The rest you can trade yes. But out of 24 packs only 10 or so will really give you stuff you could trade. But like I said before you could be very lucky, either with pulls or trades. But don't count on it. And you have no guaranty you’ll have a playable deck in the end.

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:
I'm planning on checking out the club and seeing how many people actually play Yu-Gi-Oh around here before investing into the game. Do people sell just a "staple deck" kind of thing at all(ie around 15 cards or so of just staples like heavy, mst, reborn dark hole etc?).
Most people should have spare staples laying around and if you’re new to the game might sell you for cheap.

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:I have around 120 euros right now so I'm thinking how I can build a deck that I would enjoy from that. You said some meta decks can be bought for 40 euros, what are your suggestions?
With 40 euro's you quickly come at the stall decks. Think of either burn or final countdown.
For around that amount you can also buy 3 structure decks of either: Machina (machina gadeds), Fairy (Agents), Dark world. Al these with a few staples are good decks, most notable the last 2. Although Agent will probably be hit in some way with the next banlist.
All 3 work if you add some staples and be pretty competitive. Agent and Dark world are even considered tier 1 right now but that would require some extra more expensive cards. You can do with some of the less expensive to start out with.

There are probably plenty of people from who you could buy a decent full deck for 120 euro (including staples and some extra deck cards). Just make sure you check all your options before you go buy someone’s deck and check the price.
Ultimate lol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OpenFaceSurgery on 2012-02-05, 09:06

But isn't centipeed a common? I'd assume with a box you'd easily get 3 of those. Dragonfly is rare and Hornet is super rare so I'd assume Hornet is the only one which I'd be unlikely to get 3 of. (I'm not sure how this pack thing works, is it 1 rare per pack or...?)

And thank you for the advice. I think my first course of action is to check my local club and find out how popular yugioh is here, then I'll go from there

OpenFaceSurgery

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ultimate lol on 2012-02-05, 09:40

OpenFaceSurgery wrote:But isn't centipeed a common? I'd assume with a box you'd easily get 3 of those. Dragonfly is rare and Hornet is super rare so I'd assume Hornet is the only one which I'd be unlikely to get 3 of. (I'm not sure how this pack thing works, is it 1 rare per pack or...?)

Yes it's 1 rare per pack. However there are 18 different rares in the set. You only need 1 of those 3x. So say a fair 1/18 is a damsel that means you need 18x3=54 packs to get 3 Damsel! And this is with a fair chance. Konami tends to "short print" cards like these.
The same applies to the super. in a box you have around 5 supers. you only need 1 specific one 3x. The chance per super is, when fair, 1/9. Now you do the odds of getting even 2 hornet out of 2 boxes.

Hope this explains the "why not to buy pack to get a deck" on the moment.

Going to your locals seem like a good first move yes.
Ultimate lol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. on 2012-02-05, 13:58

Lolocals can be meta or far from it. Some guys will netdeck the latest big thing. Others will have their own version of meta decks. Then there are the 12 year olds who play 3 Mirror Force and 3 Dark Hole.

I've gone 3/2 at best there. I'm working on it.
Miror B.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raye on 2012-02-05, 16:06

Well the place i go to is about fun, and money and meeting people who enjoy the same hobby as you. Collector's Cache gives you an award for placing in the top 4 at locals each saturday so it is kind of a gamble to play in tournies unless you want to have fun
Raye

Birthday : 1993-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum