DN Forums going to DN.

Go down

DN Forums going to DN.

Post  DanceJonDanceCOPY on 2011-05-24, 00:10

Hello all,

We have been discussing for a while now and we have come to the conclusion that this forum is not what's best for Dueling Network. Why? Because forumotion (the site we are hosting this forum on) does not offer the same amount of customization that a custom forum software would.

The plan was to try this forum out and if it worked out well we would keep it, but if problems arose we would make the jump from this forum to a new one. This forum has worked, but there are a bunch of problems with it and a lot of inconveniences that come with running this site on a different server as Dueling Network.

The new plan is to install forum software on www.DuelingNetwork.com which will allow us to make the forum to the needs of DN. This will also mean that all the people that register on DN.com will automatically be registered on the forums. This means that this forum will be going down eventually, and we will try very hard to see if we can transfer the posts. For now though please continue to use this forum as you've been using it these past few days. However, please be aware that no new updates will be made to this forum as it would be a waste of our time.

Also, all official forum tournaments will be canceled. This means the world cup tournament will be postponed until some time in June. I'm very sorry for this, but it's for the wellbeing of the forum long term.

Best regards,
DJD and the DNForum Staff.
avatar
DanceJonDanceCOPY


Posts : 327
Birthday : 1990-03-13
Join date : 2011-05-15

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  FistOfTheSky on 2011-05-24, 00:13

So, does this mean we will be able to surf through the forums as well as duel at the same time?
Or will it be in the duel menu or something?
avatar
FistOfTheSky


Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  DanceJonDanceCOPY on 2011-05-24, 00:14

We haven't thought that far just yet. First we need to install the software and see how we can play with it, however, you're all more than welcome to make suggestions as to what you guys would like to see on the forum over there.

Dueling while surfing the forum sounds like a very good idea. We will keep it in mind as we develop the new forum.
avatar
DanceJonDanceCOPY


Posts : 327
Birthday : 1990-03-13
Join date : 2011-05-15

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Codebreaker V on 2011-05-24, 00:26

I think Browsing the entire forum would be fine, if kept simple. Like, yer only able to access Threads yer subscribed to and whatnot. And so its on the same screen as the duel. so you dont have to switch screens alot.
avatar
Codebreaker V


Posts : 50
Birthday : 1985-01-30
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  FistOfTheSky on 2011-05-24, 00:29

Ah, and what will happen to our accounts that have been signed up here? Will they be erased or kept? Because I share this user with my Dueling Network account.
avatar
FistOfTheSky


Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  TamACOPY on 2011-05-24, 00:31

Even right now you can duel and check the forum at the same time. You only need to have 2 tabs or windows of your internet browser opened: 1 for the VDS and other for the Forum.

Now, adding a forum button on the game menu is an option that would help promoting the site. As for a special in-game forum function, it would be hard to fit the game and the forum on a single page, specially considering that many people have small screens with low resolutions. Also, there's no real point in that as you can already do that the way I explained it, and for avoiding screen switching you can put both windows side to side.


As for the accounts, this forum would be closed and the forum accounts would remain but you wouldn't be able to post. Your game account wouldn't be affected, as it is not linked in any way.


Last edited by TamA on 2011-05-24, 00:32; edited 1 time in total
avatar
TamACOPY


Posts : 1289
Birthday : 1991-07-07
Join date : 2011-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Miley Syrus + on 2011-05-24, 00:32

I don't think we've gone over a target date. week/month wise how long will this take until it's up and ready would you guess?

And we're going to have the forum on the game itself, or a button like for example "deck construction button" that redirects to the forum?
avatar
Miley Syrus +


Posts : 1924
Birthday : 1991-01-11
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Chico on 2011-05-24, 01:27

Why would we cancel tournaments? Really, I don't get it. I can't find a single reason.

Let me get this straight: That new forum will be added in about 1 month? In 1 month, there are no tournaments, and no updates will be made?

I would be glad to continue tournaments, because it doesn't matter if the forum will leave. Oh, and I think Miley and a few other people can still update some little things.

This is after all, the forum that is going to be used until the other is finished.
avatar
Chico


Posts : 74
Birthday : 1996-07-03
Join date : 2011-05-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  DanceJonDanceCOPY on 2011-05-24, 01:57

Just official tournaments have been canceled Chico, all unofficial tournaments running will continue and more can be hosted.

Why? Because the staff are the only ones allowed to host tournaments, and most of the staff members actually do more things that just host tournaments so by the time we set up in DN (which will be in a couple of days) we will all have our hands full building a new forum from scratch literally; making us unable to host official tournaments.
avatar
DanceJonDanceCOPY


Posts : 327
Birthday : 1990-03-13
Join date : 2011-05-15

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Chico on 2011-05-24, 02:37

Oh, a few days. That is good. Now I get it, I thought it would be like a month.

EDIT: I don't like the way you act like I didn't do anything but hosting tourneys. Because that is simply a lie. I did the same as Miley, without saying Welcome to people in their Hi threads, that is.
avatar
Chico


Posts : 74
Birthday : 1996-07-03
Join date : 2011-05-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  DanceJonDanceCOPY on 2011-05-24, 02:58

I don't believe I mentioned your name anywhere? o_O Please stop spamming with your paranoia posts Chico
avatar
DanceJonDanceCOPY


Posts : 327
Birthday : 1990-03-13
Join date : 2011-05-15

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Minako on 2011-05-24, 03:14

Okay you guys knew this was coming from me but I'd like for us to be able to use our own avatar on the forum and have that be our avatar in the game.

Tama you say that you can already browse the forum while in game and that is true but if this is moved inside the same page as DN that won't be true. You can only have it open in one tab so it would be one or the other unless you guys have a way to get around that which be troublesome since having two tabs open would possibly mean I'm 2 users on DN taking up more space than I should. Please explain how this would work if you can.

Also you said our in game accounts would automatically become our forum accounts. Do you mean that happens when we join? Or will it give all of us with existing accounts a forum account too? Also will this mean our accounts will be wiped out and we will have to re register?

If it sounds like I'm bitching I'm totally not. However I'm sure I'm not the only one that's gonna worry or wonder about these things.
avatar
Minako
The Cardcaptor
The Cardcaptor

Posts : 841
Birthday : 1993-10-22
Join date : 2011-05-17

View user profile http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  DanceJonDanceCOPY on 2011-05-24, 03:17

We're still not 100% sure about how everything is going to work.

We will fix the problem of using two tabs at once for sure. I don't think you can have your avatar in the forum as your avatar in game although I would want that too. BLS likes the whole earn wins to get avatars thing, but maybe he will change his mind. We will also try to make it so you guys don't have to re-register again.
avatar
DanceJonDanceCOPY


Posts : 327
Birthday : 1990-03-13
Join date : 2011-05-15

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Minako on 2011-05-24, 03:22

alright thanks and if you can convince BLS to give us free range of avatars you'd totally be my knight in shining armor. >,< FREE AVATARS FOR ALL!!!



avatar
Minako
The Cardcaptor
The Cardcaptor

Posts : 841
Birthday : 1993-10-22
Join date : 2011-05-17

View user profile http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Dartz on 2011-05-24, 04:23

I would suggest having a forum in built in the DN.com server as it saves a lot of complications from forumotion.

I would suggest SMF as they're trusted and have good features.

You can choose another if you want.

Good idea btw. FO sucks.
avatar
Dartz


Posts : 75
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile http://dartzportfolio.tk

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Guest on 2011-05-24, 06:03

Yeah Simple Machines are interesting, we might use it.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  death-coder on 2011-05-24, 06:28

yes smf is good stuff
avatar
death-coder


Posts : 45
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Shadow on 2011-05-24, 08:11

Can you post an example on how will it look?

And yeah I support this idea since I hate forumotions, GL with it.


P.S. would it slower the game???? since some ppl got the game already slow.
avatar
Shadow


Posts : 47
Join date : 2011-05-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Miley Syrus + on 2011-05-24, 09:59

Minako wrote:Okay you guys knew this was coming from me but I'd like for us to be able to use our own avatar on the forum and have that be our avatar in the game.

Tama you say that you can already browse the forum while in game and that is true but if this is moved inside the same page as DN that won't be true. You can only have it open in one tab so it would be one or the other unless you guys have a way to get around that which be troublesome since having two tabs open would possibly mean I'm 2 users on DN taking up more space than I should. Please explain how this would work if you can.

Also you said our in game accounts would automatically become our forum accounts. Do you mean that happens when we join? Or will it give all of us with existing accounts a forum account too? Also will this mean our accounts will be wiped out and we will have to re register?

If it sounds like I'm bitching I'm totally not. However I'm sure I'm not the only one that's gonna worry or wonder about these things.

Reward system is the main reason why I like the game, it shows the same characteristics of "Achievements/Trophys" I like how if I want something that I have to actually be determined to play and get it. If we made free upload avatars sure you guys would be uploading anything which takes away from the reward process, and it also further complicates admins user problems. We can't know if everyone is uploading nudity, explicit violent images, ect. For all we know there will be tons of complaints, or it could turn out to be amazing. It's just not a good risk to take, mainly for the reward system though.
avatar
Miley Syrus +


Posts : 1924
Birthday : 1991-01-11
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  GX_Cangulo on 2011-05-24, 10:39

I have a good level in the SMF forums, and Themes in PHP if you need help!

my smf forums...

http://trofeosps3.net/foro/
http://clan-gx.com/foro/
avatar
GX_Cangulo


Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-05-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Minako on 2011-05-24, 10:40

If the forum becomes linked to the game then the awards could be titles/ranks as apposed to avatars and it's not that big of a hassle really. What if I uploaded a nude photo? Well what if I went around linking porn to everybody? What if I cussed out everybody in duels until I was stopped. We could play the what if game all day really.
avatar
Minako
The Cardcaptor
The Cardcaptor

Posts : 841
Birthday : 1993-10-22
Join date : 2011-05-17

View user profile http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Miley Syrus + on 2011-05-24, 10:45

Minako wrote:If the forum becomes linked to the game then the awards could be titles/ranks as apposed to avatars and it's not that big of a hassle really. What if I uploaded a nude photo? Well what if I went around linking porn to everybody? What if I cussed out everybody in duels until I was stopped. We could play the what if game all day really.

It happens and people get banned. Bls isn't looking to change the reward system of avatars because he loves it. :s
avatar
Miley Syrus +


Posts : 1924
Birthday : 1991-01-11
Join date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  death-coder on 2011-05-24, 11:41

yea like yesterday some dude was around in the public chat linking redtube to ppl like there was no tomorrow
avatar
death-coder


Posts : 45
Join date : 2011-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  siLkyFTW on 2011-05-24, 12:25

death-coder wrote:yea like yesterday some dude was around in the public chat linking redtube to ppl like there was no tomorrow

ohmygod. They were never with girl Very Happy
avatar
siLkyFTW


Posts : 12
Birthday : 1995-10-11
Join date : 2011-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Faust on 2011-05-26, 23:25

If you want easy integration I'd suggest phpBB, SMF is nice, but phpBB was designed to be totally customizable/integrated, if you know what you're doing you can easily set it up to literally match/integrate with any site or service. (I am familiar with the phpBB system, however I'm not great at coding.) and 3.0.8 has some really nice themes.

Of course what you do is entirely up to you. I am glad to see that it's moving away from forummotion. Forummotion just leaves A LOT to be desired >_>;
avatar
Faust


Posts : 11
Birthday : 1991-10-11
Join date : 2011-05-19

View user profile http://www.infotechcommunity.tk

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Adept VantageSP on 2011-05-27, 14:13

Faust wrote:If you want easy integration I'd suggest phpBB, SMF is nice, but phpBB was designed to be totally customizable/integrated, if you know what you're doing you can easily set it up to literally match/integrate with any site or service. (I am familiar with the phpBB system, however I'm not great at coding.) and 3.0.8 has some really nice themes.

Of course what you do is entirely up to you. I am glad to see that it's moving away from forummotion. Forummotion just leaves A LOT to be desired >_>;
Jcink is also pretty good. Very customizable, and tons of features (item shop, a few built in forum games, an arcade, a video gallery, etc.). If you are good enough with code, I am pretty sure it could be integrated. Also the Admin Control Panel is very easy to use and has many options.
avatar
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Posts : 6756
Birthday : 1992-05-08
Join date : 2011-05-27

View user profile http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Guest on 2011-05-27, 14:46

Jcink uses its own server, its forum cannot be added to your personal server.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Adept VantageSP on 2011-05-27, 23:14

vantagesp wrote:
Faust wrote:If you want easy integration I'd suggest phpBB, SMF is nice, but phpBB was designed to be totally customizable/integrated, if you know what you're doing you can easily set it up to literally match/integrate with any site or service. (I am familiar with the phpBB system, however I'm not great at coding.) and 3.0.8 has some really nice themes.

Of course what you do is entirely up to you. I am glad to see that it's moving away from forummotion. Forummotion just leaves A LOT to be desired >_>;
Jcink is also pretty good. Very customizable, and tons of features (item shop, a few built in forum games, an arcade, a video gallery, etc.). If you are good enough with code, I am pretty sure it could be integrated. Also the Admin Control Panel is very easy to use and has many options.
Hmm... that is true. I can understand why you wouldn't want that.
avatar
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Posts : 6756
Birthday : 1992-05-08
Join date : 2011-05-27

View user profile http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Ecchi.keL on 2011-05-31, 10:51

all the best for dueling network :>
avatar
Ecchi.keL


Posts : 20
Join date : 2011-05-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Badass_Bunny on 2011-06-17, 09:15

I'm thinking maybe instead of Avatars(as rewards) we could have special in game titles, since I really wanna play with herp derp Vegeta avatar
avatar
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Posts : 2660
Birthday : 1996-04-17
Join date : 2011-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Yami-Malik on 2011-06-17, 10:23

Thats a very nice idea, it was about time that the forum changed for good to DN....im looking forward for this change.
avatar
Yami-Malik


Posts : 1267
Birthday : 1995-05-30
Join date : 2011-06-14

View user profile http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Skylark on 2011-06-17, 11:09

Good to hear that we're moving away from FM... And hopefully we can have some sick integration with the game...Any thoughts guys on how to crossover the 2?
avatar
Skylark


Posts : 33
Birthday : 1988-03-26
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  ZaganJustice on 2011-06-25, 01:30

I'm still doing alot of readin, but I've downloaded the server software. Gonna figure this out over the weekend. Should have a working beta version sometime next week, God willing.
avatar
ZaganJustice


Posts : 28
Birthday : 1912-01-01
Join date : 2011-06-07

View user profile http://Duelingnetwork.com

Back to top Go down

Re: DN Forums going to DN.

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum